Saturday, April 28, 2007

I am so tired of listening to the sound of the aquarium that Alex left in our hallway

I have decided that, perhaps tommorrow, I will set the goldfish and the sucker fish free. They're already gone wild in the fish tank which I refuse to attempt to clean. There is so much algae that I can't tell if the sucker fish is still alive because I can't see it. I have been feeding them. There used to be four sparkly fish (tetra?) but we went out of town over christmas and it got really cold and I think that killed them. A couple of days later, I saw an ominous fish skeleton at the bottom of the tank. This was gross but also hilarious and one reason why I don't like having fish as pets. If your pets could potentially eat eachother, it's a good indicator that maybe they shouldn't be your pets.

Speaking of pets, I saw a headline the other day that the FDA has approved the use of Prozac on dogs who experience "separation anxiety". This annoyed me so much, and the reason for my annoyance seems so self-evident to me that I can barely figure out how to begin writing about my annoyance. The reason for my annoyance is, however, obviously not self-evident to thousands of people, so I'll proceed. I think it's best to begin by stating that nobody can legitimately argue that anybody who made this decision actually cares about dogs. The drug companies want to make money and apparently, dog owners want to have dogs but don't want to deal with them when they actually act like dogs, and bark a little and maybe poo on the floor. It's bad enough that they're keeping a member of another species in an unnatural habitat and treating it like an accessory to enhance they're lifestyle. It's bad enough that these people approve of the idea of shutting out part of the range of life experience and its attendant emotions because they just don't want to deal with it, because it actually requires some effort to grow as a person and learn coping skills and develop wisdom (all of which are potential results of pain and suffering). But to put these two things together, that is, to project onto animals the human idea that we must medicate emotional suffering, is not only idiotic, and annoying to me, but sort of unethical, and brazenly profiteering. Why can't these people busy themselves with finding a vaccine for malaria or spend the money that was going to go toward Fluffy's meds on a nice statue of a dog, which incidentally, will not need any pills to get it to be quiet. Bleck. Or better yet, send that money to me, or some other worthy charitable cause. You could fill a book with the moronic things people waste their money on, like gigantic aquariums in my hallway that essentially employ animals as decoration. I am so annoyed.

No comments: